Thursday 30 June 2022

Virginia's Voice and Bits.

I listened to Virginia Woolf’s voice tonight. There’s an audio track of her talking on the BBC in 1937, accessible from Wiki. It sounds odd to a modern ear, and yet not wholly unfamiliar. It’s how I would expect somebody from the English middle class to talk in the early part of the 20th century. I tried to put it into a modern context, but all I could manage was that it was a sort of cross between Lady Diana and Margaret Thatcher. It wasn’t a pleasant voice.

*  *  *

I had to do a little remedial work in the garden tonight because of a heavy shower we had this afternoon, and noticed that nettle stings feel sharper when they’re wet. Maybe it’s because they’re cold.

*  *  *

The atmosphere on this little piece of ground where I live has come to feel uncomfortably toxic since I had the argument with the neighbours on Saturday. I gather there are people who don’t feel that sort of thing.

No comments: