Thursday 30 June 2022

A Little Thought About Russia.

I read a day or two ago that some member of Putin’s oligarchy (I forget his name) has moved his $300million superyacht to a safe haven somewhere in the Gulf States to avoid losing it to sanctions. Is that true or merely an example of western propaganda? I don’t know, but if it is true a thought occurs to me.

Didn’t the Russians once have a revolution to get rid of that sort of thing, or is the story of the Russian Revolution merely propaganda too? I think it reasonable to believe they did because that’s what the adjective ‘red’ is all about in the context of Russia. That being the case, I wonder whether Mr Putin and his mega-wealthy supporters are concerned that they might one day come to be regarded by the Russian proletariat as latter day Romanovs and be subjected to the same sort of remedy.

Maybe they're banking on the belief that perestroika has made two generations of the Russian proletariat so soft that they’ve become immune to the revolutionary imperative. And I expect the Russian security services are rather more powerful than the Cossacks were.

(I sometimes wonder about my thoughts, you know. How many are rational, how many intuitive, and how many simply expressions of wish fulfilment.)  

No comments: