Wednesday 4 May 2016

Questioning Procreation.

I keep seeing a promo for a vlog on YouTube which shows a middle aged man and woman with their two grown up daughters. Every time I see it I can’t help reflecting on the fact that one day (or probably night) these two people did something rather messy and unpleasant, and around twenty years later there were two new adults on the planet.

It strikes me as a rather inadequate way to conduct a magic trick. I’m sure we could do better if we really tried.

4 comments:

Madeline said...

My friends and I were just talking about this at the bar. (Yes, I sometimes go to bars.) One friend said, "Every time you look at someone, you're looking at physical evidence that their parents DID IT." (Yes, she used the words "DID IT.") But I'm an optimist, so I keep alive the dream that everyone I meet is actually a test tube baby.

JJ said...

Quite. When I was first told by one of the bigger boys how babies are made, my (much) older brother's wife had just given birth to their first child. Needless to say I was horrified (my older brother was still high on a pedestal at that point in my life) and refused to believe it. I think I probably blocked out any reference to my parents. That would have been just too much. I expect it was the same older boy who broke the news about Santa Claus, so maybe messengers should be shot after all.

So glad you didn't say 'hang around in...' that would have been up there with baby making and Santa Claus.

Madeline said...

Yes, I make a habit of going to bars, taking a quick look, and then leaving. Puts to rest all that "Fear Of Missing Out."

JJ said...

I think the concept of 'missing out' is greatly overrated.