Thursday 10 October 2019

Thursday's Jottings.

I’m one of those people who can place hand on heart and say ‘I love the human race. It’s people I have a problem with.’

I suppose I should now go on to explain why I don’t see that as a contradiction in terms, but why fray the edges of a neat little statement just to serve the interests of earnestness? And I wonder how many people said it before I did.

*  *  *

The big issue in the sports world at the moment is the effect Typhoon Hagidis is having on the rugby world cup in Japan. What’s interesting is that if the match between Scotland and Japan is called off, Japan will automatically go through to the knockout stages for the first time ever. And yet I haven’t noticed a single BBC journalist use the term ‘kamikaze.’ Standards are falling rapidly at the BBC these days.

*  *  *

The wind is getting up in the Shire tonight, too. I got up in the Shire at 6.15 this morning. Did I say? What I didn’t say was that it left me feeling ill all afternoon. I’ve felt better this evening, though, so now I’m going to watch another episode of the X-Files. I’m scouring them all for signs of Mormon missionaries so I can swell with pride and cleverness.

*  *  *

An attractive, 40+ woman with black hair raised above her head in a sort of fountain arrangement smiled at me twice in the coffee shop today. I was sure I knew her from somewhere, but I hadn’t a clue where it was. At one point she walked past me at a distance of a few feet and swamped my senses with her heady perfume, and still I couldn’t place her. Maybe she’d never got that close before, so I don’t suppose it matters.

No comments: