Tuesday 29 October 2019

Dark Words of Endearment.

Somebody said to me in an email recently: ‘I want to meet you in person so that I will be able to mourn you more properly when you die.’ Nobody has ever said that to me before. I think it was meant as a compliment, and so that’s how I took it. I suppose some people are special, and some people aren’t.

And for some reason I keep thinking of the character of Papa Lazarou from the TV show The League of Gentlemen. He’s a mysterious, swaggering figure who appears seemingly out of nowhere for the purpose of collecting women and saying ‘You’re my wife now’ in a voice that is redolent of the pit. He wears all black clothes, and is made up to resemble a clown except that his face make-up is black and white. Nobody knows where he comes from or where he takes the unfortunate women, although he is associated with the circus. It’s what passes for superior comedy in Britain. This is he:


How the two facts related above are connected, I really don't know.

No comments: