Tuesday 25 April 2023

The Purple and the Black.

I’ve said before on this blog that I like to distinguish between what I see as the two types of melancholy.

Firstly, there’s purple melancholy – that which is downbeat, written in a minor key, encourages a longing for something desired but unseen beyond a translucent veil, and yet produces a tingle of anticipation to create a perverse sort of pleasure. Then there’s black melancholy which is unremittingly dark and indistinguishable from depression.

This track from Kristine Robin encapsulates, to my mind, the essence of the purple. Of course, it has to be listened to in a receptive frame of mind and an appropriate environment. And I do realise that musical taste is as individual as the listener, but it might be worth a try if the requisite factors are conducive.


No comments: