Wednesday 5 April 2023

Another Brief Note on Mr Tantrum.

I do wish they’d stop all this legal razzmatazz with Donald Trump in New York. Even if he’s found guilty on all charges, his supporters will still cheer and run riot for him because his popularity is based on the cult of personality. And the sort of thing he’s being accused of is what good ol’ boys do anyway, isn’t it? They represent that aspect of American culture which the rest of the world laughs at until one of their number gets to be President and the whole thing assumes dangerous proportions.

Meanwhile, those of us in Britain – and presumably most of the rest of the world – have to put up with his face emblazoned across every newspaper, watch with a mixture of amusement and alarm as he performs his Mussolini impersonations, and cover our ears to his maniacal rantings.

And therein, I think, lies the true nature of the problem. The more I see of Trump, the more convinced I am that he’s suffering from some sort of psychotic condition. I do realise that I’m no psychiatrist, but I would be interested in the result of a psychiatric assessment. Do you think it could be arranged?

And who knows, if I’m right and he were to receive treatment, maybe he could live out what life he has left as a retired and retiring old gentleman of pleasing disposition. Wouldn’t that be a relief?

No comments: