Wednesday 5 April 2023

Revenge of the Little Person.

The checkout I went through in Sainsbury’s today was being operated by an Irish woman with whom I occasionally have a chat. At one point she said ‘gloomy weather out there today.’ (Which it was, being dull, wet, and chilly.) ‘Irish weather,’ I replied, at which she smiled and appeared to concur. When I got home and was putting the shopping away, I checked the till receipt and discovered that one item had been charged twice. I suspected a connection and rued the loss of £1.

And then I discovered that a pack of broad bean seeds I’d bought with several other items from the hardware shop was missing. That was another £2.90 down the drain, and I remonstrated with myself for having been so absent minded as to have presumably left it on the counter.

And then the more rational explanation presented itself in a flash of green light. It seemed obvious that my family leprechaun (my male ancestral line being Irish) had given me a box on the ears for casting aspersions on the Irish weather. No doubt he’d calculated that £3.90 was sufficient to greatly irritate me, but not enough to warrant a petition for bankruptcy. Clever little blighters, aren’t they? Lesson learned.

No comments: