Monday 11 April 2022

Paying Up Front.

My new health issue is keeping me in a state of discomfort tonight, as it does much of the time. I suppose I should see a doctor about it (not that it’s easy to actually see a doctor during these troubled times), but I’m tired of the attention of clinicians, tired of investigations and procedures, tired of waiting for results, tired of the hassle involved with attending the Royal Derby Hospital, tired of being told I mustn’t drive for a month, and tired of people trying to coerce me into taking yet more medications. I’m holding to the view at the moment that when you get older your body starts falling apart and that’s just how it is. I’m the biggest fan of the NHS because they saved my life four years ago, but I’d much rather its bountiful ministrations were heaped on other people while I was able to stay under the radar.

And I’ve had a frustrating, stressful day today, courtesy of E.ON Next (my energy supplier) and Epson (the manufacturer of my printer.) I think I’ve made it quite clear that I’m no friend of the denizens of the corporate world these days. I understand why they try to force you into doing things their way – although I greatly dislike it and fight against it as much as possible – but what I don’t understand is how, given the wealth, technical expertise and university degrees at their disposal, they manage to be so dysfunctional.

And now I’m whingeing again. I dislike myself when I whinge, but yesterday’s niceness reversed its polarity today. I suppose it’s just an example of having to pay for everything you get, and maybe instant karma is better than building up a debit balance.

No comments: