Sunday 24 April 2022

A Fitting Place to Meet.

Uttoxeter seems to be the place where I bump into people I like bumping into. First it was Lucy (ex-dental nurse and intrepid traveller), then it was the angel in the shoe shop, and today it was my old manager from the theatre, Sarah O, who has received honourable mention a few times on this blog. (I decline to post the picture of us at the By Jeeves performance twenty years ago because I’ve posted it three times already and I don’t want the colour to fade.)

We seem to make a habit of meeting accidentally every four or five years, so maybe there’s a pattern emerging and I should take notice. Then again, given the way my body is falling apart these days, it might well be that the swan song has now finally been sung. Be that as it may, I should like to add (in case she ever reads this) that despite her advancing years (her assertion, not mine) she remains as slim and elegant as ever. A little quieter maybe, a little more mature, but still statuesque and a most excellent subject for a random encounter.

I think I’ll post that old picture of Uttoxeter again, though, just because I haven’t posted anything to look at for ages. The old place is fading badly these days I’m sad to say (coincidentally, a bit like me.) Lots of empty shops as there are in many towns now, courtesy of retail parks, malls and the internet. (There used to be nine charity shops in the town; now there are three.) And I’m sorry I can’t credit the photographer because I don’t know who it was.

 
 

No comments: