Sunday 17 April 2022

On Oddities and a Ditty Failure.

Having been engaged in a particularly long phone call this evening, I had to go out after dark to top up the feed tables for the early rising birdies. Before I did so, however, I made sure that the curtains were closed because I’ve developed a new oddity. I dislike looking back into my house from the dark outside because I fear I might see something in there that I really don’t want to see! This would appear to indicate that I’ve added being fanciful and neurotic to the growing list of undesirable traits.

In consequence of this, it occurs to me that my personality has so many odd angles that if I were a rough diamond freshly hewn from the primeval rock, I would be considered unworkable and cast aside.

And this morning I saw a cow resting by a farm gate. When I approached he didn’t shy away as cows usually do, but remained placid while I stroked his nose and scratched his ears. This reminds me of another little oddity: I hate the thought of having any part of my body – even my ears – scratched by any fingernails other than my own. I’m not at all sure of where, when or why this negative sensibility achieved genesis, but it belongs in the general category of pollution aversion.

*  *  *

A rare event occurred yesterday: the beginnings of a new ditty dropped into my head and asked to be developed. It began:

My name is Svetlana
I’ve lost my banana
And now I don’t know what to do

I really did try to develop it, I did, but it kept sliding into murky places so I stopped.

No comments: