Thursday 1 March 2018

Seeing the Bright Side.

When I went for my shower tonight I went into the bedroom to collect fresh clothes and found a sheet of ice on the inside of the window. In the nearly twelve years I’ve lived here I’ve never known that before. (And walking into the room was a bit like walking into a meat freezer.)

So now you might have some idea of how thrilling it is to live in an old Edwardian house with no cavity walls, no double glazing, no central heating, free access to the east wind even though the doors and windows are sealed, and the weather coming from Siberia.

But at least I was able to have a shower, the prospect of which was in serious doubt when I had the thorny and mysterious plumbing problem earlier. In fact, I just realised how fortunate it is that the plumbing problem showed itself late in the afternoon rather than at midnight when I’m disrobed and being splashed with water which won’t go anywhere. There’s usually a silver lining, isn’t there?

2 comments:

Madeline said...

We in New England are no strangers to the interiorly iced window. Did I ever tell you about the time my mother left the house with wet hair and her hair froze off? That's also a thing that happens.

I've heard from many of my friends in the UK about how cold it's been the last week, and hope that it warms up a bit soon.

JJ said...

Now you're just showing off.