Saturday 3 March 2018

A Surprising Discovery.

One interesting side effect of my current health issue has been the number of people who have freely offered a level of support above and beyond the call of duty.

Today it was the turn of young Melissa in the shop where I buy my wild bird food. When I told her that after the kidney removal (if indeed it ever happens) I would be unable to drive for a while, she immediately offered to bring the stuff out to me. Why would she do that? She’s just a shop assistant.

I admit to having felt not only grateful for such generosity, but also a little confused and chastened. I’m even beginning to wonder whether there are a few people out there apart from my ex and my daughter who actually like me. Why on earth should that be? What have I done to deserve being liked? We who go through life as observers don’t generally get liked because we don’t generally get close enough.

Ah well, maybe I’m not the man I thought I was. Maybe I should be taking a lesson from it. That’s what I usually do.

No comments: