Sunday 19 November 2017

Fearing Encounters.

Do you know what worries me every time I go into a coffee shop? I worry that I might see the person I’ve long wanted to talk to sitting alone and I’m faced with two options:

1. Walk up to her and say confidently ‘may I join you?’ knowing full well that she will be polite and reply ‘of course; please do’ and I won’t know whether what she’s really thinking is ‘Oh, my God. Can I face spending ten minutes with this jerk? Think, think, think… What’s a suitable excuse to make an early exit? How about I have to go now or else my dog will become fractious and dig a hole in the carpet. Will he believe it? OMG! OMG! OMG!’

2. Walk past her, smile and say ‘hello’ in my most smiley voice, and then occupy another table. There’s a danger, is there not, that she might think ‘Does he imagine I smell bad or something? Does he think I’m not good enough to warrant his company? I’ll blank him the next time I walk past him – you just see if I don’t – arrogant, miserable git!’

It’s a dilemma, isn’t it? But here’s a bigger one: suppose we cross paths in the town and the following conversation ensues:

‘Hi, Jeff. How are you?’

‘Do you want me to say I’m fine, thanks. How are you? or do you want the truth?’

‘Erm… I’ll take the truth.’

‘OK, most of the time I feel tired, ill, cold, depressed, and lonely.’

‘Oh dear. Poor you. Can I take you for a coffee?’

‘Why?’

‘Why what?’

‘Why do you want to take me for a coffee?’

‘Why shouldn’t I?’

‘Because people never invite me for a coffee. They never invite me to tea. Neither do they ever invite me to dinner, nor to soirees on the terrace on balmy summer evenings while a string quartet plays Bach at a respectful distance. I’m not the sort of person to whom people extend invitations.’

‘Oh well, suit yourself. Bye.’

So there you have it – heart in mouth every time I go near a coffee shop, which is why I’ve added to my prayer script: Please don’t let me meet people I’ve long wanted to talk to, and most especially don’t let them invite me for coffee. The loner gene is there for a reason. Thank you.

No comments: