Sunday 4 September 2016

On Television and Tram Lines.

People sometimes seem surprised by how little TV I watch. I used to think the reason for that was simple: TV programmes are designed to function within the orbit of conventional culture, and since I connect to relatively few aspects of that culture there isn’t much on the TV to interest me. But now I wonder whether this might be a chicken and egg question.

Could it be that those who manufacture, maintain and manipulate the culture deliberately ensure that TV output is designed to keep the population programmed to stay in line? If that is the case, could it be that I no longer conform dutifully to the culture because I’m no longer much exposed to its main conditioning tool?

The problem is that I don’t know which came first. Did I step outside the tram lines and then stop watching the TV, or did I stop watching it first and then drift naturally outside the tram lines?

Or am I delusional and/or anti-social and/or misanthropic and/or a fledgling fruitcake? I wish I knew, but I don’t suppose it matters.

No comments: