Sunday 9 March 2014

The Perennial Uncertainty.

I was just listening to Deva Premal singing the Moola Mantra on YouTube again. For those who don’t know, Deva Premal is something of a legend in the field of popularising sacred music, especially the Vedic variety. She has a beautiful voice, and much of what she sings is very beautiful too. For me, that’s as far as it goes; what bugs me is the kind of comment people leave. The first on the list is:

‘Oh my beloved God. I love you my Lord.’

This puts me in a quandary because I’m dying to add my comment along the lines of:

‘I do wish people would stop seeing this as some sort of Gateway to God. The older I get, the more I’m convinced that we’re all God. Every rat and earthworm is God. Every grain of sand is God. There is no gateway. And the older I get, the more I’m prepared to admit that I might be wrong. Is that the real big difference between us?’

I continue to restrain myself because as much as I like pricking the bubbles of Mother Culture, I have an inner conviction that trying to prick the bubbles of individuals’ beliefs would be both spiteful and unnecessary – not to mention presumptuous. But I still wish they’d realise that their beliefs are just things they choose to believe. And maybe I’m being arrogant in saying even this much.  

No comments: