Tuesday 4 March 2014

For the Sake of Saying Something.

There is a lone light shining in the darkness of the Shire. It’s oblivious to the fact that it’s a beacon, but I’m not. And arcane as such a statement is, at least it beats the bile I spewed onto a Word document and then deleted.

*  *  *

I claimed my £64 lottery prize today, then splashed out on a second hand paperback from a second hand bookshop. The French Lieutenant’s Woman it was. It cost £1.50, and I read the first two chapters tonight without finding fault with the writing. Unlike some better known names, John Fowles really knew how to write. I doubt there will be any tearing of this one to shreds. Pity.

*  *  *

The business in Ukraine is troubling me far more than I suppose it should, but I keep seeing video footage of a Very Important Person who has the look and bearing of an underfed sewer rat. And I'm inclined to judge situations more by the people generating them than by the nature of the situations themselves. It's why I often take sides in direct opposition to the seemingly rational arguments being expounded. In politics, seemingly rational arguments are usually loaded at best, and often examples of the most outrageous sophistry.

2 comments:

Madeline said...

My mother loves TFLW. I only saw the movie, but it was good. They figured out how to film an aspect of story that would typically be unfilmable.

JJ said...

Well, if you're not going to tell me how they did it, I suppose I'll just have to read the book, try to remember the movie, and work it out for myself.

What I mostly remember about the movie was Meryl Streep wearing a cowl. I'm greatly attracted to women wearing cowls, you see. I think it has something to do with mystery, magic, and the masking of power until it's ready to be unleashed. I think.