Thursday 27 March 2014

A Light Bearer and some Laid Back Sheep.

I encountered HT54 again today, but this time it wasn’t the fleeting and unilateral affair that it usually is; this time there was a good ten minutes of direct, diligent and delightful discourse. And those ten minutes brought illumination, both actual and psychological. I was disabused of several erroneous assumptions to which I have been prey for some time – assumptions based on good evidence which proved to have been not quite good enough. I do believe I smiled (twice, possibly…)

*  *  *

And here’s an interesting thing:

Sam and Ange’s sheep have been moved from their pastures on the higher ground down to a field adjacent to the farm house, in preparation for lambing. The fields they usually occupy are all on a level with, or slightly below, the lane, and the sheep are skittish animals. If I approach the hedge or gate, they run away. Their new enclosure is raised about eight feet above the road, separated from it by a wire fence and steep embankment. And they’re no longer skittish. Instead of running away, they stand by the fence and regard me with evident curiosity. It seems their elevated position makes them feel safe, or even superior. It’s much nicer that way.

No comments: