Tuesday 28 December 2021

About Online Shopping.

I tried to buy an item online tonight from three major suppliers – Amazon, eBay and Argos. I aborted the attempt with all three because I discovered changes in their online systems. They’re using an increasing number of ruses to lure you through their maze until they have you trapped one way or another. And then they can know all about you, track you, bombard you with unwanted advertising, persuade you that it’s all for your benefit, and… I don’t want to play their game. I don’t trust them an inch and I don’t want to become the puppet of a giant money-making machine. I made the decision that, insofar as I’m able, if I can’t get what I want from an actual shop, I’ll do without.

If everybody took the same decision it would bring the corporate world to heel, but they won’t because the system has us increasingly conditioned to accepting that this is what you have to do in order to consume. Consumption is king now, and so the corporate world grows ever stronger in its aim of bringing the culture more and more under its control. I don’t intend to give in to it.

Sorry to be harking on so much lately about the direction I see the world taking, but it’s coming from various angles, it’s bugging me, and I see little point in having a blog unless you use it to say what’s on your mind.

No comments: