Friday 1 October 2021

Nocturnal Sheep and Other Bits.

Guess what I saw at 2am about a week ago. Sheep grazing by the light of the full moon. Never seen that before. I remember reading once that Bram Stoker’s choices for the animals associated with Dracula and evil generally (wolves, bats, moths, dark haired young women etc) were based on those which are nocturnal by habit. Seems he forgot the sheep (and me.)

So that’s another first for this year. There have been a lot, haven’t there? I’ve no idea what having a year replete with firsts is supposed to denote by way of messages from the universe, omens, or other mystical allusions, but it probably isn’t all that bad.

I resumed the garden work today after last week’s arm damage. It hurt (quite a lot.) Still does.

So here we are in October. Goldener Oktober. Ripe apples. Beech leaves glowing deep yellow. Low orange sun enriching the limestone walls of buildings great and small. The firsts hints of winter cold. And, in my case, the next planned CT scans and first investigations into the apparent heart problem. I don’t want to die this month. I want to die in September so I can go to sleep with the trees.

The closest thing I have to a spark in my life these days is the seemingly endless supply of female protagonists in Shirley Jackson’s stories. They’re very strange, and I do so like strange women.

Had a postcard from Slovenia today. (It’s next door to Italy.)

No comments: