Thursday 30 September 2021

A Failed Muse on Transition.

I did try, you know, I really did. It being the last day of September, I was consumed with a deep desire to write a post about the different qualities we ascribe to the months of September and October respectively.

I wanted it to be insightful and I wanted it to be lyrical, and so I thought and thought and thought. I wanted to say that September is the month when summer is still in sight but drifting away on the wake, while the golden hues and shortening days of October declare themselves the harbinger of a wholly different course. It was going to contrast hedgerow berries with crisp and fallen leaves. I tried to find a way to compare the occasional balmy twilight in September with the first icy chills of its successor. But I kept falling into a mental muddy pool and getting my knees dirty, so I gave up. I do remember the final sentence, though:

‘I expect it’s different in Barbados.’

Sorry I failed. Happy Halloween (just in case I’ve given up the ghost before we get there.)

No comments: