Thursday 14 October 2021

Dark Days and White Knights.

The past few days have been a bit fraught, but today the whole matter was brought to a satisfactory conclusion. A cloud lifted, but within three hours two more issues arose and the sun disappeared again. I suppose that’s what ‘hey, ho’ was invented for.

One of the issues involved a fractious conversation with my doctor’s receptionist. Eventually I read between the lines of what she was saying and realised that she was under pressure. She gave nothing explicitly away, but it became clear that she had failed to carry out an instruction within the expressed time limit, and now she was feeling the heat and I wasn’t helping.

Oh dear. Damsel in distress time. JJ’s cue to change direction and aim for the fairytale ending. I worked conscientiously to calm her down, and at the end of the conversation she managed a giggle. I’m a really nice bloke when I need to be, you know. I am. A bit unconsciously sexist maybe, but a really nice bloke. I listened to a rendition of Rum and Coca Cola by the Andrews Sisters to celebrate.

Meanwhile, up at the big house, something dark and slimy was slithering silently across the basement floor and beginning its ascent to the kitchen. I made that up because I couldn’t think of anything else to say.

No comments: