Monday 4 October 2021

Simple Treats.

I had two big treats today. First, the Lady B’s mother smiled at me as she was driving past, and then the two donkeys which live in a field at the bottom end of the Shire came over to greet me. I realise that what they wanted was some patting and scratching and stroking and a handful of fresh hay each, but it was still a big treat. Being smiled at by handsome women and having donkeys seek my company is about as big as treats come these days.

And it did lead me to wonder why the Lady B’s mother bothers to smile at me since I’m not aware of anything about me worth smiling at. It could be that she finds my Quasimodo impressions amusing I suppose, but it didn’t look like that sort of smile.  It’s what humans do, though, isn’t it? It’s our way of saying ‘I accept your presence in my orbit and I’m not going to attack you.’ Her orbit still hasn’t stretched as far as inviting me into it for tea.

*  *  *

And I would just like to say that I greatly dislike this ad for some company which provides care services:
 
 
I think I’m supposed to envy the man in the orange shirt, but I don’t. If an attractive young woman puts her arm around me, I want it to be because she likes me, not because she’s being paid to take care of me. I don’t want to be taken care of. I find it offensive. I don’t want to go there.
 
Thankfully, my hair hasn't turned white yet and I've still got some on top of my head. That could, of course, be a mixed blessing, because if the Lady B's mother ever did invite me for tea, I would have to apologise for the shortness of my forelock.

No comments: