Monday 15 June 2020

The Churchyard and the People.

I took a packed lunch to the local church again today. The advantage of the local church is that it’s set on the far side of the Shire, and so is largely isolated from the main village and other places of human habitation. And that means that it’s quiet, the only noise being the occasional snatch of birdsong and the sound of the river running at the bottom of a steep slope and screened by a wide variety of mature trees.

Having enjoyed the food and the peace and the general sense of bucolic isolation, I spent an hour wandering the churchyard and reading the inscriptions on the headstones. I realised that I respond quite differently to different groups of edifices.

The old ones from the 17th and 18th centuries invoke a dispassionate and, one might say, academic sense of history. The newer ones going back around fifty years or so are much easier to read and I find myself piecing together what information I can about old residents now lying beneath the hallowed earth. And it’s often the case that I know some of the family of the occupants, so there’s a vague sense of personal connection involved. And, of course, I paid my customary respects to the ladies Isabella – the mother and daughter who both died young over a hundred years ago (and whose grave is the only one on the east side with a kerbed surround, so the family must have been reasonably well off.)

But there were two which stood out. The first was a recent grave with the earth still fresh and a simple wooden cross noting only the man’s name. Lying on top of the mould was a blue stone, over-painted with a rainbow which has become the symbol of the coronavirus crisis in Britain. That one was obviously topical and led to the suspicion that the virus might have been the agency which brought him there. And then there was the small, highly polished headstone which said:

Bethany Louise
Born sleeping
R.I.P.

Sitting on the plinth was a small stone teddy bear, a small stone sheep, and a small stone book with a simple memorial rhyme written into it. That was the one which got to me.

No comments: