Tuesday 2 June 2020

It's a Destiny Thing.

You know, I often think of those women back in my history who I pursued, and who also showed some romantic interest in me, but who eventually gave me the slip. And do you know what’s odd? They all subsequently went on to have happy, contented marriages to other men, and they all gave birth to girl children only.

And then I think of all those little girls – now grown to big women in most cases – who wouldn’t have existed if their mothers had made the wrong choice and followed me into a few years of domestic disharmony.

And did you know that the Irish folk repertoire has several examples of women following strange, unconventional men into unconventional lives? I take it as matter of pride that I should be the living embodiment, albeit the unsuccessful variety, of the Irish folk repertoire. My ancestry on my father’s side is Irish, you see, and the Irish display an odd proclivity for being fond of failures.

No comments: