Wednesday 17 June 2020

Following the INFJ.

I tend to be a perfectionist in nearly everything I do. I’m rarely happy to leave a job until I’m satisfied that the result is as perfect as I can make it. (You should see how long it takes me to hang pictures on a wall.)

I used to think that this trait was just another example of good old OCD, but I gather it’s a classic trait of the INFJ type. It goes along with wanting to make the world a better place (and getting very frustrated when a bunch of bozos in America lead a braying donkey into the White House and give it a microphone to play with.)

But is it laudable? I suppose it depends how you look at it, and one problem does occur to me. When you aim for perfection in doing a job, and largely achieve it, it sets a standard for others to follow. And when those who do follow and do a normal job because they’re normal people, critics are sometimes inclined to judge them harshly for it. And that isn’t fair, is it?

No comments: