Sunday 29 September 2019

Why Yorkshire?

The priestess asked me tonight whether I have a Yorkshire accent. That’s an unusual question to come from an Australian. Why on earth would she ask me that? Is it significant in some way? Does she know what a Yorkshire accent sounds like? Is this the beginning of my doom?

I told her that I don’t have a Yorkshire accent, and pointed out that there are several different accents in Yorkshire anyway. My accent – such as it is – comes somewhere close to English RP. It’s the nearest excuse I can manufacture to persuade myself that I’m a gentleman after all, even though I don’t really believe it.

And did I ever mention that a radio producer once suggested I should consider doing a late night jazz programme? The way other people see you can be quite intriguing at times, can’t it? Fortunately, I have little to no interest in jazz.

No comments: