Friday 6 September 2019

Issues Ancient and Current.

I watched the documentary on King Ramses II as previously reported. It was made for the History Channel and I wasn’t impressed. The main problem was that they used Leonard Nimoy to do the commentary, and therein lies a problem for me.

British historical documentaries generally use accredited historians to tell historical tales, which means they have an air of authority about them even if they do occasionally talk nonsense. The problem with having a well known actor do the job means that it is tainted with a sense of the fictional because that’s what well known actors are normally associated with. Besides, I found his voice a constant irritant. I didn’t when he was playing Spock, but I did when he was trying to teach me historical fact. It didn’t sit right with me, but maybe I just dislike the Boston accent. And when another actor did the voice-over for a quotation from the great Ramses, he sounded like a character from The Flintstones.

*  *  *

I had a blood test today in connection with my leg problem. I wanted to ask the nurse doing the letting whether they might use the residue to make black pudding so it didn’t get wasted, but I never had the chance because we were too busy discussing mixed ethnicity and Seborrheic Kerotoses. Her name was Fernandez.

*  *  *

When I look into my likely future I don’t relish what I see and am reluctant to go there. Oddly, however, I don’t want to die yet. That’s the issue I’m currently wrestling with.

No comments: