Tuesday 3 September 2019

Mysteries Ancient and Modern.

I bought a DVD today, a 45 minute documentary about the legendary Egyptian pharaoh Ramses II.

I will watch it with circumspection, of course. We all know that the popular presentation of history is riddled with much that is speculative but given as fact, and I’ve watched too many historical documentaries containing obvious absurdities to simply believe what I’m being told. And some of it is even born of ignorance. Here’s an example:

At the time of Julius Caesar, the Roman Empire stretched from North Africa in the south to Hadrian’s Wall in the north.

That’s a precise quotation from a TV documentary about Queen Cleopatra, even though every schoolboy in Britain who’s been taking notice knows that Britain was never a Roman province during Julius Caesar’s life, and that Hadrian’s Wall wasn’t constructed until long after his death. See what I mean? And there’s plenty more where that came from.

But I’m sure it will keep me amused for a while during some long and lonely evening, and I’m sure I will watch it with the right balance of interest and cynicism. The frustrating thing is that I’m sure it won’t tell me what I really want to know, which is:

How do we know that his name was Ramses?

I’m fairly sure I’m right in saying that the ancient Egyptians didn’t keep records written in Latin script. They used pictograms showing things like beetles, birds and topless maidens in see-through skirts. Presumably, therefore, somebody must have taken the great Pharaoh’s name so written and converted it into a form recognisable to modern Europeans. I assume they could only do that by knowing that it was pronounced Ram’seez.

So how could they know that? Could somebody please tell me because I assume there must be an answer? The best guess I can come up with is that some literate Greek or Roman wrote it down when one of the Ptolemys was lording it over the Nile. Is that it?

And another mystery: Why does my back ache so much tonight? I can’t think of anything I’ve done today which could have caused it, and it’s bothering me much more than the Ramses question.

No comments: