Monday 16 September 2019

A Few More Nondescript Notes.

Today was intended to be something of a red letter day – the first time that my daughter had been to my house since I moved here over thirteen years ago. The plan was thwarted in consequence of somebody being hit by a train somewhere between Crewe and Derby. Disappointed though I was, my sympathy lay with the person who probably came off worst in their contact with several tons of fast moving metal.

*  *  *

So did I have any interesting encounters today? No.

What did I have for lunch? A vegan sausage roll and a piece of bread pudding.

Am I a vegan? No, merely a standard vegetarian. And I do realise that a standard vegetarian is no longer regarded as a member of the lunatic fringe, but has become the culinary equivalent of the bourgeoisie – despised by peasant and aristocrat alike. Oddly, I don’t entirely disagree.

*  *  *

And it occurred to me to wonder how many people there are around the world who know nothing of the English language except the words Harry and Potter. And then I wondered how many of them always get the words in the right order. And when I transposed them it further occurred to me that Mr Potter’s ancestors might well have come from the area where I grew up, only he didn’t because he’s fictional. (Having said which, I now wonder how many people know he’s fictional.)

*  *  *

This pointless ramble has to end somewhere. Better sooner than later.

I ’gin to be a-weary of the sun

No comments: