Wednesday 25 September 2019

A Little Self-Praise.

I’ve decided to be honest and own up to the fact that I’m really quite a nice person.

Remember me saying in an earlier post that I always make for the checkout where the youngest and prettiest of the female operators is working? It’s not always true. If I see a new checkout operator who is young, female and ugly, I make a point of going through her aisle and engaging her in friendly conversation because I don’t suppose many people do. I mean, it can’t be very nice being young, female and ugly, can it?

And that’s how I do my bit to help the disadvantaged feel they belong, which just goes to demonstrate that I’m not the lecherous ne’er-do-well that some people might imagine. Not that my mother would agree with that assessment. I don’t remember many of my mother’s statements verbatim, but one which stuck in my head was:

‘I saw how you looked at that girl in the fairground at Great Yarmouth. Just like yer bloody father!’

I put it down to the fact that my father’s ancestry was Irish on the male side, whereas my mother’s had more of a Welsh component. The Welsh are traditionally chapel people, you see, which they feel gives them the moral high ground over the more Catholic-oriented Irish. That’s the difference.

(And I'm doing my level best to be inflamatory here. Somebody yell at me, please.)

No comments: