Sunday 24 February 2019

What's in a Name3.

My stats tell me that I’m getting a rash of visits to an old post of mine from nine years ago called What’s in a Name2. (I assume there must have been a What’s in a Name1.)

It reminded me of a young woman picture researcher I used to speak to quite often by phone back in my photography days. Her name was Lucy van Laun, and she had a sister called Emma van Laun who worked for another publisher.

Aren’t they just the most splendid of names, and don’t splendid names conjure up splendid images? They had splendid voices too – I remember that Lucy had a habit of exclaiming ‘Oh, brilliant!’ in a plumy, public school sort of accent which evoked images of long hair, longer legs, captivating smiles, and a bright, giggly sort of sophistication which leaves men of my level of discernment having to put some effort into avoiding frothing at the mouth and going weak at the knees. (I was a lot younger then.) I saw them gracing the upper sixth common room at a non-violent version of St Trinian’s, complete with gym slips and engaging pouts.

And so I used to long to find some excuse to visit one or both of them during one of my sojourns to the London publishing houses, but alas I never did. Then again, maybe my failure wasn’t such a bad thing. For as much as splendid names and splendid voices have the power to evoke splendid images, the reality is often very different. For all I know they might both have looked like a dog’s bum with a hat on.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry to read about your health issues. I find this kind of stuff makes us feel many things at different times. I send you light. I creep in on you from time to time as you well know. I'm glad to see you have an appreciation for Shakira. You share this with myself and Mr. Tom Hiddleston who I respect and admire. Take the best care of yourself.

JJ said...

I've had 'Anonymous' quite a few times, but I've never had 'Unknown' before. I wonder how that happened.

I find that the main reaction to getting a grade 3 cancer is that it sharpens one's perception of mortality to a razor's edge, and encourages an even more diligent search for answers to impossible questions. The main benefit is that it discourages the spending of money on anything that is built to last (unless you happen to be a Pharaoh, that is.)

I took my investigation of the lady known as Shakira one stage further tonight and now I know what she looks like. I suspect that Mr Hiddleston has more chance of a dinner date than I do.

Anonymous said...

I don't know how i became 'unknown', but I have a suspicion you have figured out that this is Bree from 'across the pond.'

I had a very deep awakening to mortality as my father passed away last week. His memorial service is tomorrow. It was completely unexpected, save for his age. He was in good health.

I realized I have been thinking in little girl mentality for quite some time now. I just figured my dad would live to be 100.

JJ said...

Naturally I'm sorry for your loss, but I would imagine it evoked a cocktail of conflicting emotions. I hope you're coping with them, and I trust it isn't too presumptuous to hope that it leads to some healing and the laying of a few demons.

Anonymous said...

Thank you. It is indeed a loss, which is a bittersweet feeling. If this would have happened ten years ago, I'm not sure what I would have felt. I was very fortunate to have had many meaningful and healing discussions with my dad in the last two years. I can honestly say he was a dear friend and had grown into a very good man.

I'll keep you in my prayers.