Wednesday 27 February 2019

Mixed Compliments and a Dog With Standards.

I saw one of the hitherto-mentioned Sarahs in Ashbourne today. She said I ‘looked great’, and then proceeded to tell me what I resembled this time last year. I didn’t quite catch it, but the look of apology she was wearing suggested it was less than complimentary and maybe it was better not to seek repetition. (My self-image isn’t exactly flourishing at the moment.) And then I got two hugs instead of the usual one.

*  *  *

I was in the pet shop this afternoon buying my week’s supply of bird seed and peanuts when a man came in to buy a meaty, munchy treat for his Staffordshire bull terrier. The dog was clearly excited at the prospect of what he was about to receive, but came over to say hello to me first. If that isn’t the finest example of canine courtesy, please tell me what is.

*  *  *

And tonight I celebrated my new-found fan status by delving a little further into the matter of the singer known as Shakira. I discovered what she looks like and how she moves. I think reserved compliments might be in order with regard to both. I was going to post the official video of her performing her song Hips Don’t Lie, but assumed that everybody in the world bar me has already seen it. That’s usually the way of things.

No comments: