Friday 15 February 2019

On Spring, Searching, and the Sweetness of a Smile.

The standard trees in the Shire are being a little precocious this year. Already they’re beginning to display that soft, furry look as they clothe themselves in a diaphanous vernal gown to cover their winter nakedness. And it’s only the middle of February.

And why am I talking like this? Why can’t I just say the buds are forming on the trees so I sound prosaic instead of pretentious? I suppose it’s because I’m trying to locate the writer who used to live here. It’s clear I haven’t found him yet, but please don’t shoot the guy who is just out searching the orphanage for his long lost brother.

There I go again.

I also saw six or seven honey bees today, feeding, or trying to feed, on the wintry-white snowdrops. I’ve never seen bees feeding on snowdrops before, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen bees out this early in the year. Maybe it’s normal; maybe I just didn’t notice. If it isn’t, then I have to wonder whether the bees are simply responding to the current temperate conditions, or whether they know something I don’t: that we’re heading for a warm spring. That would be nice.

Meanwhile, two of the February chores have now been dealt with and there are more to come next week. But today I noticed that the small hernia – which developed when I was clearing 125ft of 4-year-overgrown hedge a couple of years ago – has grown somewhat and become a little painful. The medics tell me they’ll deal with it once they’re sure the cancer business has been sorted. Life is quite the bundle of laughs at the moment.

Incidentally, the Chinese woman to whom I offered New Year greetings last week was in the same place again on Wednesday (which is a bit odd, but then lots of things are.) She recognised me immediately and cast the sweetest smile in my direction. Despite being a matter of little note, it was the biggest pleasure I got this week. And just in case you’re wondering, I did smile back.

No comments: