Friday 20 May 2011

Aine's Moon Mirage.

I went out at dusk a couple of nights ago and saw a big white disc in the sky behind one of the sycamores. I thought how nice it was to see the full moon, and then carried on with what I wanted to do.

Suddenly it occurred to me that the ‘moon’ was in the wrong place. That sycamore is to the north west of the garden, and the full moon at that time of the evening should be in the south east. I looked again and there was nothing there.

I was quite sure I’d seen it, so I sought an explanation. The most obvious one was that it was some sort of atmospheric aberration – maybe a mirage of the actual moon that was hanging in its usual splendour in the opposite direction. Mirages have been riding high in my world lately. And then it occurred to me that north west is the compass direction with which Aine is associated, and she has been riding high in my world for fifteen years.

So of course, I ended up being perplexed as usual and shrugged it off. But wouldn’t it be good if it was Aine giving me a message about mirages? I just wish I knew what it was.

4 comments:

andrea kiss said...

I know its odd, and i can't remember why i initially made the association, but i've always associated Aine with peaceful sleep.

JJ said...

Oh. I associate her with fecundity and a fierce temper.

andrea kiss said...

And Midsummer and faeries and cows.

JJ said...

I'm planning to have a fire in her honour on the eve of the solstice.