Thursday 18 November 2010

It's All Relative.

Something that interests me:

Although we know that the earth both rotates on its own axis and also orbits the effectively stationary sun, we still perceive our star in egocentric terms. We still say that the sun rises and sets, and we even project that perception one stage further when we talk of the sun ‘going behind a cloud.’

Or maybe I should make the effort to learn more about Einstein’s Theory of Relativity. Wasn’t it he who said that it would be just as correct to talk of the station passing the train, as it is to say that the train is passing through the station?

I assume Albert had a higher IQ than me, so I’ll just have to take his word for that one. Sometimes I think it would be easier to be a frog.

2 comments:

Gorilla Bananas said...

His comment about trains refers to the special theory of relativity, whereas the motion of planets and stars is governed by the general theory. Perhaps he would have said that both the earth and the sun move in straight lines through curved surface of the space-time continuum.

JJ said...

There are two Theories of Relativity? Definitely a frog next time.