Wednesday 10 May 2023

Two Tiny Tales.

I saw the Lady B’s car this morning for the first time since Christmas Day. So why should that be noteworthy? Well, because everything I encounter which has a direct connection with the Lady B sprinkles a teaspoonful of magic dust into my life, and I don’t get much of that. ’Twas ever thus and I suspect it always will be.

*  *  *

But on the downside, I also received a hint of chiding from Millie the Horse’s human. I told her of my efforts to track down the elusive Millie so that I might confer upon the dear old lady the gift of raw carrot, and Millie’s human expressed a note of reservation. The problem is, apparently, that Millie’s field has a public footpath running through it, and said human was concerned that if Millie gets used to being given the gift of raw carrot – or any other popular comestible come to that – she might start pestering walkers passing through the field and become a nuisance.

It seems that a previous horse – a big warrior of a gelding called Ben who died of old age a few years ago – had a disconcerting habit. He, too, was domiciled in that field during his retirement, and if he saw anybody walking through it wearing a hat he would trot over to them, steal the hat, and run away with it, leaving his poor human to be harassed by the heated complaints of hatless ramblers.

I sympathised, naturally, and tonight I left a raw carrot by the field gate so that dear Millie might receive a pleasant surprise the next time she ventures that way. I thought it the best compromise in the circumstances. I'm nice like that

No comments: