Monday 1 May 2023

Considering Beetle Mind.

It’s an interesting fact that wherever I’ve been walking over the past week or two, be it around the precincts of my little abode or perambulating the byways of the Shire, I keep seeing small beetles – presumably baby ones – scurrying frantically across the hard surfaces of lanes and paths. And so I ask the question: why do they do it?

Is there something they want on the other side, because if so it would suggest that beetles are capable of aspiration and therefore conscious intent? Or is it simply that beetles are genetically programmed to walk rapidly in a straight line whenever the day is dry and the temperature convivial (they don’t seem to do it in cold or wet weather)?

So therein lies another oddness in the matter of JJ’s perception of life, the universe, and everything. While others question the wisdom of a change in interest rates, the rightness of allowing unemployed foreigners to enter the country without a valid ticket, or the soundness of the judges' decision in determining who should be crowned victor in some TV reality show or other, I concern myself with wondering why baby beetles cross the road.

No comments: