Sunday 28 May 2023

Being Sigma in Short Circuit.

I was thinking only today as I walked down the lane in the spring sunshine about how easily so many people fall under the influence of the personal charisma phenomenon, be it peddled by rock and pop stars, powerful politicians, cult leaders, evangelical preachers, or whatever.

They willingly accept being drawn into a doctrine, an image, a mental environment, a definition of right and wrong, and even a lifestyle choice. They become subsumed into one form of totalitarianism or another, losing all sense of critical awareness along the way. And in so doing they give up personal identity and become part of a mass movement, sometimes temporarily and sometimes for life. And then tonight I watched a reaction video on YouTube to a Nightwish concert, and there it was again.

This is why I never join anything, never subscribe to movements, never stand with the crowd, but always on the edge of the flock observing the phenomenon. Being a loner has its drawbacks, but I can’t live any other way. No doubt some people think I suffer from some kind of disassociative condition, while others tell me I’m a sigma male and that’s OK. I really don’t care, for as much as I give credence to the notion of the ultimate connectedness of all things, at this level of existence you have to be who you are.

And I’m only saying this to let off steam. I don’t expect anybody else to give a damn one way or another.

No comments: