Wednesday 23 March 2022

Just Wishing.

I was feeling bored because I’ve finished watching The Legend of Korra and have nothing to replace it with, nobody of note is corresponding with me, and nothing worth reporting happened today. Accordingly, I thought it might be interesting to list my most notable wishes on the blog just to have something to do. I began with the most immediate and obvious, and then spent around twenty minutes thinking of a few more. This was the result:

I wish I had a video to watch. I wish I had an interesting email to answer. I wish I had a blog post to write. I wish I had all my physical faculties back in pristine condition. I wish I could eat my favourite foods with gay abandon. I wish I had a very great deal of money so I could give it to good causes. I wish I could go back in time and meet the Brontë sisters. I wish I could tell the Lady B she has Carey Mulligan’s eyes. I wish I could drink as much alcohol as I like without worrying about the effect on my liver. I wish I had the capacity to observe more and judge less. I wish I could speak French fluently. I wish I could meet a Swedish woman with a sense of humour and tell her why I find Swedish people interesting. I wish I could project the right energy so that birds might trust me. I wish I could tell the story of the frog which ate the princess to a bunch of kids old enough to get the joke. I wish I could truly know that death holds nothing to be afraid of. I wish I could stop feeling guilty about ending a sentence on a preposition. I wish I could make all the sad people in the world happy.

There were more, but they were either less substantial or in some way conditional so I stopped there. It isn’t very compelling is it, not unless you happen to be a Swedish woman who wants to know why an Englishman finds her compatriots interesting, or a French person who wants to know why an Englishman wants to speak their language. But it filled a gap and might as well go up to keep the scoreboard moving.

No comments: