Monday 3 January 2022

A Troubled Night.

I had another of my typically confusing dreams last night. I was at the theatre where I used to work, being taught some kind of lesson by the Theatre Director who died ten years ago. I wasn’t fully understanding the lessons, and when it came time to take the test I wanted to ask the woman sitting next to me whether I could copy her notes. She beat me to it by asking whether she could copy mine. I’ve no idea who she was.

I woke into the darkness of my bedroom and felt uneasy because I was sure there was somebody else in the house. I heard an unfamiliar noise, but tried to shrug it off and go back to sleep. And then I heard another unfamiliar noise. I turned the bedside lamp on: twenty past six, less than four hours since I’d gone to bed. The sense that there was an intruder grew stronger and I decided to go downstairs to investigate. There was nothing untoward, so I made a cup of tea and booted up the computer to see whether there had been any activity on the blog. Nothing. I drank the tea, turned all the downstairs lights off and went back to bed. It was colder than when I’d left it, but I managed to get back to sleep eventually.

I was back at the theatre, this time doing my old job. I was faced with a mess that needed to be cleared up, but the actors kept getting in the way. And then I was outside and facing a huge ladder which climbed all the way up to the roof. It looked a daunting prospect because I’m mildly acrophobic, and it was made worse by the fact that each section of ladder was placed inside the previous one, so the ladder became narrower the higher it got. I knew I had to climb it because there was something I needed to hang on a hook at roof level, which would mean taking my hands away and balancing on the top rung. I felt I needed to be positive and fearless, so I climbed the ladder quickly and got the job done.

But then I saw an identical ladder set up a little way away, also fully extended to the roof. Two cats were fighting on top of it and I feared they would fall and be killed. They did fall, but managed to land on something lower down and carried on fighting.

I was back in the theatre, this time explaining to the assembled actors that I was about to go on holiday. A woman who looked like my high school English teacher sidled up and asked whether she could come with me. I knew she wanted to start a romantic relationship which I found onerous, so I declined her request.

And then I arrived at my holiday destination, only to find the unwelcome woman coming alongside and smiling lasciviously. She’d followed me there and I knew there was no escape. I woke up to find sunlight shining through the window, and the wall clock opposite the bed showed me it was ten past ten.

What on earth am I to make of me?

No comments: