Thursday 6 January 2022

A Bus Called T88.

T88 has taken to impersonating a London bus.

(I was a big fan of The Magic Roundabout as a kid. One of the characters was a cow called Ermintrude who was more than a little loopy. In one episode she was engaged in giving orders to the others: ‘Ding-ding,’ she intoned brightly. ‘Move along please. I’m a bus. Ding-ding.’ Hence the relevance of this note-in-parenthesis to T88. My other favourite character was Dougal, the dog, who was mostly engaged in complaining about things. Between them they seemed to encapsulate most of my nature. But to continue…)

The thing that’s most commonly said about London buses is: ‘You wait half an hour for a London bus, and then three come along at the same time.’ And so it is with T88. Having not seen it for a month or more, I saw it yesterday in Ashbourne, and again today driving down my lane (which should strictly read ‘being driven down my lane’ but why be fastidious?’) And as it passed me the driver waved, so I assumed it was probably the Lady B. Whether she was waving at me or an earthworm crawling slowly across the snow I have no way of knowing. I suspect the latter might be the more likely.

No comments: