Tuesday 4 September 2018

Two Unconnected Notes.

Oh, the coincidences. They keep on coming thick and fast. Coincidences of people and places, lines in films and fiction, Ronald Weasly and my schoolboy friend Alan Taylor, snarling black dogs, and Hermione Grainger of course (she who must not be talked about.)

Is there any such thing as a coincidence? Does the number and frequency of coincidences affect the question of whether or not greater significance should be inferred? Does it matter? Well, only insofar as my own current experience of multiple coincidences is causing the fog through which I am presently walking to grow even thicker. The problem is, you see, that while I can be quite sure I’m not psychotic, I can’t be quite so sure that I’m not delusional.

*  *  *

Meanwhile, a woman Labour MP here in Britain wants to have misogyny made a hate crime. The weight of legislation continues to burgeon while the thought police grow ever closer.

Though I decline to be labelled, I would be considered a liberal in most respects. I’m certainly a strong advocate for empowering women in matters of respect and opportunity until they reach parity with men (as long as Mother Nature’s view is not pushed aside in the process.) But I have my reservations. It seems to me that we’re moving gradually closer to the point where everyone whose views detract from the shibboleths must be called a criminal and punished accordingly. Isn’t that a rather dangerous road to be walking?

No comments: