Monday 3 September 2018

On Hermione and Gibberish.

My posts have been a little odd lately, haven’t they? Well, I suppose the fact that I recognise their oddness proves that I’m not completely mad (yet.)

The one I wanted to write tonight would have been the oddest of them all, but I decided not to write it and I don’t quite know why. I think it was because I was sure it would have been seen as mere gibberish. Hermione would have understood, but Hermione isn’t here. She came to me once you know, as a bird. She hung around for a while taking scraps from my table and then flew away, never to be seen again. But I did say that I wouldn’t talk about Hermione, didn't I? I did, so I won’t.

*  *  *

Today I read a feature about anorexia in a newspaper. It said that the health services in Britain place far too much reliance on Body Mass Index when assessing the risks, and far too little on mental and behavioural patterns. And that, according to an ex-anorexic author of a recent book on the subject, is why some people are allowed to progress to the most serious stage – which can result in death – when such progression could have been avoided. So isn’t it heartening to note that some people have the strength to move beyond it and into the light? It’s a fact for which I’m personally very grateful, and for which I offer my appreciation and congratulation.

*  *  *

I saw this advert on a web page tonight:

 
My first thought on perusing it was that the wildlife here illustrated which is most vulnerable and in need of help is the fish. Fish are wildlife, aren’t they? Or is that merely gibberish?  

2 comments:

Chris said...

I think the idea in that photo is that the bird of prey is helpfully assisting the fish by giving it a free ride. Perhaps it's saving the fish from drowning.

JJ said...

Good logic. Thank you.