Thursday 4 December 2014

The Costa Rica Ditty.

Tonight I discovered an old post of mine which bemoaned the difficulty of finding a rhyme for Costa Rica. That was back in sunnier days when the doe-eyed, dark-voiced and delightfully reticent Zoe still considered me a creature of some little note, and she offered a suggestion by way of the comment form. (All the way from… Pennsylvania, I think it was. I’m sure it was before she went east, though not as far as Ashbourne.) The ditty, however, never got written.

But then today, despite the close proximity of issues, issues and further issues, not to mention the fact that winter generally depresses me anyway, a ditty of sorts dropped into my head. This is odd, since those suffering a surfeit of issues and winter are not generally inclined towards writing ditties. (I have a suspicion that it might have something to do with Mr Nabokov, whose tale and writing style continue to enthrall, but probably not.)

When I went to Costa Rica
Unto to me a kind man said
‘What you need’s a lovely chica
For to warm your lonely bed’

Now, not being a Spanish speaker
I’d no clue to what he meant
So I left old Costa Rica
With my dignity unspent

Not much of a ditty, I grant, but at least it’s the first one for absolutely ages and it goes some little way to bringing the Lady ZZ’s suggestion belatedly to fruition.

No comments: