On a warm, sunny October day like today it's normal to see the south wall of my house liberally populated by ladybirds (ladybugs.) They sit there taking the last warmth of the sun before crawling into the tiny spaces between the casements and window frames where they stay in hibernation for the winter.
Not so today. Today they were running (and sometimes flying) rampant inside and outside the house. Inside they were on various surfaces, the floors, the stairs, the banister rail, and the insides of the windows. Outside they were on the plants, the path, the outside of the windows, and even on me. There was one on my hair, another on my sweater, and yet another crawling around my ear. Doing anything today required stepping carefully across a minefield of ladybirds.
I know ladybirds are just bugs like any other bugs, but their red and black markings make them the very epitome of bug niceness. I remember when there was a range of children's clothing called Ladybird for that very reason. And I hate hurting anything, much less killing a living creature. But the constant need to look out for rampant ladybirds gets a bit tiresome, and I don't know why they're behaving that way this year.

No comments:
Post a Comment