Thursday, 8 October 2026

An Interesting Source of Perception.

I find it surprising that something as functional and impersonal as YouTube should teach me something about the way I perceive people.

There's an American woman whose reaction videos I occasionally watch. At first I saw her as being merely plain. Certainly not ugly, but a face which, in itself, didn't draw my attention. What caught my attention the most was her voice. There was a huskiness about it, and her accent was intriguing because the speech pattern was slightly slower than most American accents and the diction a little more drawn out. And yet I soon realised that it was definitely not full southern. 

In one of her latest videos she mentioned her native state: West Virginia. 'Ah,' I thought, 'so that's the sound of north Appalachia.' By then, however, the sound of her voice had already caused me to shift my perception of her face and I'd begun to find her physically attractive. Now I think she's quite lovely and want to know whether she's called Abigail, because that really would be the icing on the cake. I'm also curious to know whether she plays the banjo, but asking her would seem a little too intrusive and she probably wouldn't get the joke anyway.

No comments: