Saturday 12 November 2022

On Buffy and Big Hollywood.

I’m beginning to get the hang of Buffy the Vampire Slayer now. Tonight I watched episode 5 of the fourth season, so what should I say about it so far?

Well, the formula is unerringly – and therefore tediously – predictable, and the obligatory party scenes too loud and American-college-kids-ish, but the nightclub scenes seem at least to have been inspired by Twin Peaks so thank heaven for David Lynch’s imagination. I do get the jokes, and I did say that I preferred the redhead, didn’t I? Tonight I realised why.

Her name is Willow (had to look it up) and she combines dippy and deep in equal measure. That’s attractive, and so is the fact that she’s engagingly intuitive and possessed of high emotional intelligence. So where’s the contest?

*  *  *

I also watched the American version of The Ring2 tonight. I found it about as subtle as a doggie poop scooper and marginally less scary than the stay puffed marshmallow man. There was lots and lots of pointless noise and the actors insisted on delivering the majority of the most informative lines in a sibilant whisper which was quite unintelligible. Why does Hollywood do this kind of thing? Are they trying to impress or to influence, that’s the question. Or are dollar signs full justification for dumbness?

But at least I was reminded that the original Japanese film Ringu was not Ringu2, but a different film called Rasen. I said once that I hoped to impress somebody with that little gem of erudition one day, but I haven’t yet been afforded the opportunity. Maybe when I’m finally consigned to that hospital bed and about to take my last breath, a nurse will pass by and I can say ‘Excuse me nurse, did you know…’

No comments: