Tuesday 22 March 2022

Notes for Yet Another Tuesday.

Tuesdays just keep on happening, you know. One of these days I must work out how many Tuesdays I’ve encountered in this life. But anyway…

Today was bad in just about the same ways as yesterday was good. The see-saw effect is becoming tediously routine.

I used to have three hen pheasants visit my garden daily and I became quite fond of them. This morning I found one of them dead on the road near my gate. She looked quite uninjured, but it is a well known fact to those well versed in the matter of pheasants that they never lie on their side with their eyes closed unless they’re dead.

I had reason to suspect that my old stomach ulcer was back to add further to my litany of physical woes, and they’re not as easily fixed as they were when the GP services were in full swing (pre-Covid, of course.) I have observed that few things are as good as stomach ulcers for bringing you down.

Another American woman loved one of my comments on her YouTube channel today. It’s not entirely surprising since she’s a rare example of someone with whom I feel I could get on, and she has a splendid dog which makes regular appearances. Her channel name is SoGal if you’re curious to see what kind of person I could get on with. (I ended that sentence with a preposition for no other reason than that I wanted to.)

Talking of YouTube, I’ve had several examples recently of visitors to the blog having been referred from there. I have no idea how that can happen. And on the subject of YouTube and mystery, here’s another one: My recommendations are becoming ever more copiously littered with videos which appear to have no other purpose than to titillate me with either partial views of women’s breasts, or the sight of buttocks hanging out of the skimpy shorts worn by women athletes.  I can think of nothing I’ve done to encourage the view that I would want to watch them. On the contrary, my watch history should leave even the dumbest algorithm in no doubt that my late night viewing is geared to matters of rather deeper significance.

I finished watching the extensive saga, The Legend of Korra, last night. It was my second watching and I enjoyed it more than I did the first time around. What I found particularly interesting was how quickly and completely an anime-style video can suck you in to the point where you really believe that these are real people doing real things. In my case, I think it probably says a lot about my suspicions regarding what is real and what isn’t.

Tonight I developed a sudden yen to visit Slovenia, and all courtesy of a rendition of Borodin’s Polovtsian Dances. It includes the melody later used for the popular song Stranger in Paradise taken from the 1950s musical Kismet. It became my favourite melody when I was around six, and remains so to this day. And I must say that the original version sung by a women’s choir accompanied by an orchestra is infinitely superior to the popular song. At least to me it is. So why Slovenia? The orchestra happened to come from there, and I’m easily influenced to the point of making irrational connections.

No comments: