Tuesday 15 March 2022

A Little Person's Ides of March.

Something reminded me earlier that today is the Ides of March, that fateful day when Julius Caesar met his end and Mark Anthony cast a sly eye in the direction of Egypt. It is a day worthy of note, a portentous day, the day on which I had probably the strangest experience of my whole life. I decided that I couldn’t let it pass without making a blog post, but I knew I’d told the story of 15th March 1995 before on this blog and it wouldn’t do to repeat myself. Good writers don’t do that, do they?

I did. I searched the date and found that I’d told the story of 15th March 1995 three times in different years. They were told in different words and set in different contexts, but they were all the same story. I felt truly ashamed of myself (but you can read one of them here if you’re interested.)

So did anything of note happen to me today? Yes it did: I saw the first bat of the season out hunting at twilight, which is always one of spring’s great pleasures. I also did the first of the serious shrub-trimming jobs in the garden which included using the heavy pole hedge trimmer for the first time since last autumn. The effect on both my injured arm and my cardio-vascular issue was most uncomfortable, but as far I know I haven’t died of either yet. Sorry to disappoint.

No comments: